I became an attorney to help people secure their legal rights. Throughout my career, I’ve learned that access to legal assistance can change outcomes and a little help navigating government can yield big dividends.
I understand the impact law and government can have on our everyday lives. Indy Allies and Barnes Legal were created to provide an alternative to the uncertain fees and time/travel constraints of traditional brick and mortar law and governmental affairs firms.
We provide clients the options of full-service assistance, discrete task or unbundled services, or self-help resources via the web. In-person meetings are available upon request.
Collaboration is more than a saying at Indy Allies. Not only do clients partner on every project, but we use collaborative law to resolve disputes wherever possible. Unbundling or limited scope representation permits clients to hire an attorney for specific parts of a project. If your situation is one I do not handle or will involve protracted litigation, I am happy to make a referral, at no charge, to my network of experienced colleagues throughout the state. In some situations, I will continue as co-counsel if requested.
It has been my privilege to provide legal and strategic counsel to government officials, presidential campaigns, and nonprofit organizations. I have worked with federal and state law enforcement entities, judges and lawmakers, as well as individuals, families, and small business owners for over 20 years.
- Purdue University, B.A., with honors (1989)
- Indiana University, School of Law, J.D. (1992)
- Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, United States District Court for Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, and the Indiana Supreme Court.
- Clerkship with Honorable Vernon Sheldon, pro-tempore judge in Allen and Marion Counties, Staff Attorney to the Indiana General Assembly, and General Counsel to the Indiana Election Division.
- Legal and strategic counsel re: management of $20 million government database
- Government procurement, including breach of contract and contract administration
- Civil rights litigation, administrative challenges, and compliance issues
- Legislative drafting and advocacy
- Estate planning, guardianship, family and employment matters
- Special education advocacy, disability work, and insurance disputes
- Wyatt v. Wheeler and Lockard v. Miles, ballot access cases
- Curley v. Lake County Election Board, absentee voting
- Crawford v. Marion County Election Board, photo ID
- NAACP v. Gargano and Judicial Watch v. King, voter registration
- Common Cause v. Indiana, judicial nomination
- Indiana Election Commission v. MicroVote, voting system decertification
- Allen County Bar Association
- Indiana Association of Cities and Towns, Mayors’ Institute
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Foundation
- National Organization for Women Annual Conference
- Indiana African Methodist Episcopal Annual Conference
- Family Advocacy Council at Altenheim Community Center, Co-Founder
- Warren Township Arts and Education, Member (former)
- Indy PFLAG, Member
- Indiana Youth Group, Volunteer
- Glenda Ritz for Governor, Advisor